Interested in working for Indian Railways, the world’s eighth largest employer? Then this is the right time.
Indian Railways will recruit about 100,000 Level-1 employees and some 30,000 other categories of staff during 2019 in Non-Technical Popular Categories (NTPC) says an announcement on February 21, 2019 by the Railway Recruitment Board.
To help you apply for these highly coveted and lucrative jobs in India, here are some important dates and details.
Important Dates for Online Registration
If you are interested about making a career with Indian Railways, here are some important dates to remember.
Online registration at the Railways Recruitment Board (RRB) website will be done on the following dates.
Here it is vital to know that online application forms will appear on individual websites of the 21 Railways Recruitment Boards (RRBs) in India. Therefore, check on the RRB of your region or where you wish to work.
- February 28, 2019: Online Registration for RRB-NTPC Jobs.
- March 4, 2019: Online Registration for Paramedical Jobs.
- March 8, 2019: Online Registration for RRB Ministerial & Isolated Categories.
- March 12, 2019: Online Registration for RRB Level-1 jobs (100.000 vacancies)
Vacancies at Indian Railways
There are several amazing vacancies on offer at Indian Railways. Here is a list of some of these posts for which RRB is hiring.
- Track Maintainer Grade IV
- Technical Helper/ Assistant
- Assistant Pointsman
- Staff Nurse
- Inspector: Health & Malaria
- ECG Technician
- Lab Assistant
- Lab Superintendent
- Chief Legal Assistant
- Junior Translator (Hindi)
- Junior Clerk & Typist
- Accounts Clerk & Typist
- Trains Clerk
- Commercial Apprentice
- Station Master
- Senior Clerk & Typist
- Junior Account & Typist
These are not the only vacancies. There are several posts in the categories listed above. Specific posts will be announced through the various RRB websites in India.
Indian Railways Hiring Process
Regardless of which regional RRB you apply from, Indian Railways has a very stringent standards for hiring employees. You will have to undergo these steps before getting a job with Indian Railways.
- Written Exam: Every regional RRB announces exam dates online.
- Aptitude Test: This test is held to judge your suitability for a post.
- Medical Exam: Compulsory for all prospective employees of Indian Railways.
- Interview: This is the final stage of the hiring process. Interviews are conducted by RRB officials at their offices across India.
- Training: You will also have to pass training programs of Indian Railways with flying colors if you hope to land a great job.
Generally, syllabus for every test and exam is available from various RRBs. It is also possible to answer question papers in English, Hindi and in some cases, a regional language.
Currently, exams are conducted in Hindi, English, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, Kannada, Konkani, Assamese, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Oriya, Tamil and Telugu languages.
Knowledge of English and Hindi is however essential while applying for any job at Indian Railways.
Upon successfully submitting your online application, you will begin receiving emails from the RRB. These will be about exam dates, exam admit cards, annexures you need to complete and other important things.
If you have submitted insufficient information or proof of identity and address, it is essential to correct the same immediately. Else, your application can be rejected at a later stage. This means, you cannot appear for the exam.
Also ensure that photographs you provide match RRB specifications. RRB gives a single opportunity for candidates to resubmit pictures if they have given those not matching its requirements.
Facts & Figures: Indian Railways Jobs
Getting a job at Indian Railways is indeed great. It provides excellent salaries, perks and other benefits available to employees of Central government. However, entrance exams are highly competitive and hotly contested.
- Over 22.7 million candidates from all parts of India applied for 110,000 vacancies at Indian Railways in 2018.
- These include applications for vacancies at Railway Protection Force (RPF) too.
- Candidates applying for Indian Railways jobs in 2019 can expect to be waitlisted. In 2018, over 50 percent of successful candidates were kept in waitlist, pending availability of placements in various parts of India.
- Indian Railways jobs are transferable: Meaning, a successful applicant can be posted anywhere in the country.
- Indian Railways also conducts psychological tests on jobseekers, prior to appointment.
There are certain other criteria that can help you get a great job at Indian Railways. One of them is proficiency at any sport. Indian Railways has a special quota for sportspersons.
If you are excellent at any sport and have certificates from any authority in your state or national level, it is easier to land an Indian Railways job.
Study material for Indian Railways entrance exams are available at major bookstores in the country. Nowadays, they are also available online. You can also check RRB websites for sample question papers and fitness test specifications.